- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 1
f Proposal to transfer Halococcus turkmenicus, Halobacterium trapanicum JCM 9743 and strain GSL-11 to Haloterrigena turkmenica gen. nov., comb. nov.
- Authors: Antonio Ventosa, M. Carmen Gutiérrez, Masahiro Kamekura, Michael L. Dyall-Smith
- Author for correspondence: Antonio Ventosa. Tel: +349 5455 6765. Fax: +349 5462 8162. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1999 49: 131-136, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-1-131
- Subject: New Taxa - Archaea
- Published Online:
The 16S rRNA gene sequences of Halococcus saccharolyticus and Halococcus salifodinae were closely related (94·5–94–7% similarity) to that of Halococcus morrhuae, the type species of the genus Halococcus. However, Halococcus turkmenicus was distinct from the other members of this genus, with low 16S rRNA similarities when compared to Halococcus morrhuae (88·7%). On the basis of phylogenetic tree reconstruction, detection of signature bases and DNA-DNA hybridization data, it is proposed to transfer Halococcus turkmenicus to a novel genus, Haloterrigena, as Haloterrigena turkmenica gen. nov., comb, nov., and to accommodate Halobacterium trapanicum JCM 9743 and strain GSL-11 in the same species. On the basis of morphological, cultural and 16S rRNA sequence data, it is also proposed that the culture collection strains of Halobacterium trapanicum NCIMB 767, ATCC 43102 and JCM 8979 should be renamed as Halococcus sp.
The DDBJ accession numbers for the 16S rRNA gene sequences of Halococcus saccharolyticus ATCC 49257, Halococcus salifodinae DSM 8989 and Halococcus turkmenicus VKM B-1734 are AB004876, AB004877 and AB004878, respectively.
- Keyword(s): comb, phylogeny, DNA hybridization, 16S rRNA sequence comparison, nov., Haloterrigena turkmenica gen. nov.
© 1999, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
Figure data loading....