- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 48, Issue 1
f Reclassification of Shewanella putrefaciens Owen's genomic group II as Shewanella baltica sp. nov.
- Authors: Frank Ziemke†, Manfred G. Höfle, Jorge Lalucat, Ramon Rossellö-Mora†
- Author for correspondence: Frank Ziemke. Tel: +49 8856 603876. Fax: +49 8856 602003. e-mail: email@example.com
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1998 48: 179-186, doi: 10.1099/00207713-48-1-179
- Subject: Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
The taxonomic relationship between several Shewanella putrefaciens isolates from the Baltic Sea and reference strains of this species is presented in this study. Results from DNA-DNA hybridization using a newly developed nonradioactive detection system and from 165 rRNA gene sequencing demonstrated that S. putrefaciens is a heterogeneous species containing more than a single genomic group. The genomic group II was phylogenetically, genotypically and phenotypically distant enough from the species type strain to be classified as a single species within the genus Shewanella. Therefore, we propose to reclassify Owen's genomic group II as Shewanella baltica sp. nov. with the type strain NCTC 10735.
The EMBL accession numbers for the sequences reported in this paper are AJ000213-AJ000216 and AJ001277-AJ001288.
Present address: Boehringer Mannheim GmbH, Mikro- und Zellbiologische Analytik IPK, TE-A3, Nonnenwald 2, D-82377 Penzberg, Germany.
Present address: Max-Planck-Institut für Marine Mikrobiologie, Celsiusstrasse 1, D-28359 Bremen, Germany.
- Keyword(s): Shewanella putrefaciens, DNA-DNA hybridization, 16S rRNA gene sequencing, Shewanella baltica
© 1998, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
Figure data loading....