- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 2
f Reclassification of Paenibacillus durum (Formerly Clostridium durum Smith and Cato 1974) Collins et al. 1994 as a Member of the Species P. azotofixans (Formerly Bacillus azotofixans Seldin et al. 1984) Ash et al. 1994
- Authors: A. S. ROSADO, J. D. VAN ELSAS, L. SELDIN*
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Instituto de Microbiologia, UFRJ, CCS, Bloco I, Ilha do Fundäo, CEP 21941-590, Rio de Janerio RJ, Brazil. Phone: 00 55 21 590 3093. Fax: 00 55 21 259 9957. E-mail: IMMGSEL@microbio.ufrj.br.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, April 1997 47: 569-572, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-2-569
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Reclassification of Paenibacillus durum (Formerly Clostridium durum Smith and Cato 1974) Collins et al. 1994 as a Member of the Species P. azotofixans (Formerly Bacillus azotofixans Seldin et al. 1984) Ash et al. 1994, Page 1 of 1< Previous page | Next page > /docserver/preview/fulltext/ijsem/47/2/ijs-47-2-569-1.gif
Phenotypic studies, as well as the reaction of Paenibacillus durum genomic DNA with a 16S ribosomal DNA (sequence of variable regions V1 to V4)-based Paenibacillus azotofixans-specific PCR system and oligonucleotide probe, the presence of sequences homologous to Klebsiella pneumoniae nifKDH in both P. durum and P. azotofixans, and the results of DNA-DNA hybridization experiments performed with the P. durum and P. azotofixans type strains and one additional P. durum strain, showed that these two species form a homogeneous group. In addition, evidence was found for the presence of nif genes in P. durum, and P. durum was shown to fix atmospheric nitrogen. Therefore, the names P. durum and P. azotofixans should be considered synonyms. As P. durum was capable of fixing nitrogen and fixation without inhibition by nitrate is a major characteristic of the group, we propose that P. durum be included in the species P. azotofixans.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
Figure data loading....