- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 1
f Desulfonatronovibrio hydrogenovorans gen. nov., sp. nov., an Alkaliphilic, Sulfate-Reducing Bacterium
- Authors: T. N. ZHILINA, G. A. ZAVARZIN, F. A. RAINEY*, E. N. PIKUTA, G. A. OSIPOV, N. A. KOSTRIKINA
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Department of Microbiology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803–1715.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1997 47: 144-149, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-1-144
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A new alkaliphilic, sulfate-reducing bacterium, strain Z-7935T (T = type strain), was isolated from a soda-depositing lake, Lake Magadi in Kenya. This organism is a motile vibrio which utilizes only hydrogen and formate as electron donors and sulfate, sulfite, and thiosulfate, but not sulfur, as electron acceptors. Thiosulfate is dismutated. Strain Z-7935T is an obligately sodium-dependent alkaliphile which grows in sodium carbonate medium and does not grow at pH 7; the maximum pH for growth is more than pH 10, and the optimum pH is 9.5 to 9.7. The optimum NaCl concentration for growth is 3% (wt/vol). The optimum temperature for growth is 37°C. The G+C content of the DNA is 48.6 mol%. 16S ribosomal DNA sequence analysis revealed that strain Z-7935T represents a new lineage with genus status in the delta subclass of the Proteobac-teria. The name Desulfonatronovibrio hydrogenovorans gen. nov., sp. nov. is proposed for this organism; the type strain of D. hydrogenovorans is strain Z-7935 (= DSM 9292).
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-1-144dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-1-144dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....