- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 44, Issue 4
f Rapid Characterization of Four Species of the Saccharomyces Sensu Stricto Complex According to Mitochondrial DNA Patterns
- Authors: JOSÉ MANUEL GUILLAMON†, ELADIO BARRIO, TOMÁS HUERTA, AMPARO QUEROL*
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Departamento de Biotecnologia, Institute de Agroquímica y Tecnología de Alimentos, C.S.I.C., c/Jaime Roig 11, 46010 Valencia, Spain. Phone: 34-6-369-0800. Fax: 34-6-393-0001. Electronic mail address: AmparoQuerolebamo@evalsb.geneti.uv.es.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1994 44: 708-714, doi: 10.1099/00207713-44-4-708
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To The Systematics Of Yeasts
- Published Online:
Several strains of the four sibling species of the genus Saccharomyces (S. bayanus, S. cerevisiae, S. paradoxus, and S. pastorianus) were characterized by using a rapid and simple method of restriction analysis of mitochondrial DNA. Patterns obtained with four-cutter endonucleases (such as AluI, DdeI, HinfI, and RsaI) made it possible to differentiate each species. S. cerevisiae and S. paradoxus presented a greater number of large fragments than S. pastorianus and S. bayanus with all the assay enzymes. With AluI and DdeI, species-specific bands clearly permitted differentiation between S. pastorianus and S. bayanus. To test the resolution of this method, wild Saccharomyces strains were analyzed. The correct assignment of these strains to a known taxon by this rapid method was confirmed by means of electrophoretic karyotyping.
Present address: Unitat de Microbiologia, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, 43201 Reus, Tarragona. Spain.
Copyright © 1994 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
Figure data loading....